- stand the test of public scrutiny in matters of prudence and probity, facilitate access, encourage competition, and reflect fairness in the spending of public funds;
- ensure the pre-eminence of operational requirements…
- The need is one of pressing emergency in which delay would be injurious to the public interest;
- The estimated expenditure is less than $25,000;
- The nature of the work is such that it would not be in the public interest to solicit bids; or
- Only one person or firm is capable of performing the work.
Here's an excerpt of some of the amusing rationale presented in the document above: